Friday 15 August 2014

Farewell MA

My dissertation is finished! 28 poems based on Propertius’ Elegies. Now I just need to get it printed, bound and handed in. So that’s top of my list for next week. I’m actually really chuffed to have finished it 2 weeks before the submission deadline, and it’s taking a lot of willpower to stop tweaking. But when you’ve taken out and replaced the same comma 6 times, you know it’s as done as it’s going to be at the moment.

So… MA done and dusted! Now what? Now of course is my plan to take the poetry world by storm by writing a best seller and making millions and… oh… but of course, that doesn’t happen if you write poetry. Can you imagine if 50 Shades of Grey had been a series of sonnets? I’m sure we wouldn’t be bombarded with trailers for the Valentine’s launch of the film.  On a side note, E.L.  James, the author of 50 Shades, was a University of Kent graduate, she studied History, the-powers-that-be keep that one quiet ;)

More realistically, my plan is to pull together everything I’ve written over the last couple of years, edit it all some more, get submitting to magazines & competitions, see if I have enough for a collection, and also see what direction my new writing will go. I’m also looking to get some more work doing community writing – I love showing people that anyone can write, we all have our own story to tell.

On paper those things look very achievable, however I know it’s going to take a lot of determination not to let my writing time get swallowed up by the rest of life stuff. While I was officially studying I had a justification to ignore the washing up, now it’s somewhat harder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment